Oxford Flying Club was officially opened by the Mayor of Oxford in 1939. However, its life was initially rather short, and as the country prepared for war, restrictions placed on civil flying quickly curtailed its activities. Resurrected in 1947 and renamed the Oxford Aeroplane club, it gradually increased its fleet and reputation and, by 1960, had made the important transition from a club for private pilots to a fully-fledged flying school geared to the training of professional pilots. As the parent company, Oxford Aviation, expanded, so too did the training offered by the school, and by 1961, when it merged with the Pressed Steel Co to become British Executive Air Services Ltd, Oxford was firmly established as one of the UK’s leading Flight Training Schools. Dedicated ground school buildings and student residential accommodation on site were quickly provided, and the first fully integrated Commercial Pilot’s Licence and Instrument Rating courses began in May 1962.