Accounts of the Feoffees of the Town Lands of Bury St Edmunds, 1569-1622 (Suffolk Records Society) by Margaret Statham
Boydell Press | June 26, 2003 | English | ISBN: 0851159214 | 492 pages | PDF | 1 MB
In 1569, thirty years after its abbey had been dissolved, the large town of Bury St Edmunds remained unincorporated. These accounts show how the feoffees (still essentially the medieval Candlemas guild) experimented with town government. The pre-Reformation landed endowments were increased throughout the period. This enabled the feoffees to address many aspects of town life.